Hi Mark,
Considering your situation "4 kids on the boat" you absolutely need a harness & crotch strap and some kind of rigging already handy. You can talk the kids through a recovery but there is no way they will get you aboard in time (before hypothermia) if you don't have all the pieces in place.

The harness can be separate in which case you can go with the inexpensive manual inflate vest. Bear in mind that many auto-inflates won't, when you need them (unless they are prudently checked). I say this because the racing skipper came back from a 'Safety at Sea" course just before a Southern Straits Race and declared many BRDs did inflate when they jumped into the pool because the CO2 cylinder had loosened off.
We all checked ours and 3 of the 10 crew had loose cylinders (mine included).

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1

P.S. BRD = body recovery device, for the cinics