Steve,

I work with both epoxy and resin.  For larger repairs I tend to use resin.

If your repair isn't terribly structural, why not use resin?  Resin is a
fraction of the cost of epoxy. The West System makes it easy with their
proportional pumps.  But...resin is also easy if you go metric.  Instead of
ounces, use milliliters or centiliters.  Mix MEKP at about 2% and away you go.
200 ml resin : 4 ml MEKP.  See how easy that is?  And cheaper, too.  If you
know anyone in the medical industry, have them bring you some of those small
dose cups marked with mls.  I use one of these:

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/MEKP_Dispensers_166/Supplies_Tools_Dispensing

True, epoxy bonds better but strengthwise, there's not much difference.  Much
of the strength is in the cloth.

I've put gelcoat over epoxy several times with no adverse problem.  I clean the
area thoroughly with solvent and rough it slightly with extra fine sandpaper to
give it a little "tooth".  As a practice, I tend to use resin if I'm applying
gelcoat over it.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA