 From: Steve Thomas <sthom...@sympatico.ca>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 8:45 PM
Subject: Stus-List  C&C (1990) gelcoat epoxy adhesion

  All this talk about gelcoat matching has got me thinking about everyone's
seemingly universal preference for using epoxy (West
system in particular) for doing repairs. I am contemplating the purchase of a
boat that I know has a couple of soft deck issues,
and it seems to me that since this is an all too frequent repair, how does one
get the gelcoat to stick? I don't want to use
paint. Gelcoat manufacturers say don't do it. West says get rid of any amine
blush, do everything by the book with the epoxy, and
it should be ok. Anyone had problems with this, or is it just a bit of over
caution on the part of gelcoat manufacturers as West
claims?

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII