From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Eric
Frank
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 8:29 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List methods of self-rescue?

With the recent interest on this list-serve about inflatable vests and
tethers, and the comments that going overboard when single-handed is
unlikely to have a good outcome, I have been thinking about possible ways to
improve the chances of self-rescue.  My father always trailed a 100 foot
polypropylene line (so it would float) off the stern, with a knot at the
end.  He hoped to be able to grab that and then haul himself back to the
stern transom.  Of course a ladder off the stern would be crucial, which he
did not have.  But as this list-serve has noted, it is very unlikely that
one would be strong enough to pull along the line back to the boat unless
the boat were nearly stationary.

Would it be possible to rig a drogue (sea anchor?) in a bag on the stern so
that when you pull the line trailing off the stern, the drogue would deploy?
I have no experience using drogues or sea anchors, but are they capable of
slowing the boat, with sails full, to a knot or two?  That might be slow
enough to enable one to pull oneself back to the boat.  The stern ladder
would also need a cord to pull so that it would fold down, and be deep
enough so that 1 or 2 steps would be underwater.  The larger drogues are 6 -
8 feet in diameter, so that might be sufficient.  One could also rig a trip
line to the engine so if it were running, it would stop.

This idea must have occurred to many others, but I have never seen it
proposed.  Obviously one would rig the drogue bag and stern line only when
single handing - not racing.  But the bags I have seen for full-sized sea
anchars are not huge, so it would not take up a lot of space behind the
helmsman.  Has this been tried?  Do any of you have experience with
deploying large drogues and seeing how slowly the boat moves?  If I had one,
it would be interesting to try it out on a warm day and with plenty of help
around.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II