Bob,

My wife and I faced the exact same dilemma last year. Since I sailed out of the
New Bedford YC many years ago we were looking at Padanarum/South Dartmouth on
Buzzards Bay. We went to the Boston Boat Show and ran into a realtor there who
put up a display. We told him what we were looking for and he suggested Bristol
which up to them was only a sign I passes when we’d drive to Newport.

We visited Bristol and found that it had everything we were looking for,
restaurants, the Herreshorf Museum, Linden Place, Blythwold Mansion, The
Bristol Yacht Club which is very much a sailors yacht club, a 14 mile long
bicycle trail that runs along the water all the way to Providence, beaches at
Colt Park all in a very compact walkable town. Roger Williams University is
also there which brings young people and culture. Finally the town is host to
the longest continually running (238 years) 4th of July parade in the country
and several weeks of concerts and fireworks leading up to the 4th.. We liked it
so much we ended up purchasing a home there that was built in 1845 and we’re
totaling renovating it. There are several homes available in town for less than
$55K that are within walking distance to the restaurants (some of them quite
good) and shops.

We’ve been amazed at how many people retire in Bristol. Many of these folks are
young active retirees and a lot of the social life revolves around the yacht
club and the Herreshorf museum. In fact there seem to be a lot of college kids
and a lot of 60 somethings and not a lot in between because the people who grow
up in the area all move to Barrington and the schools there when they have
school age kids.

There is an event at the Yacht Club sometime in January for people who might be
interested in joining. You might want to call the Stewart there to find out
more details.

Good luck,

Dave

Saltaire