Hi Liz,

At the risk of over-simplifying things, Melody & I use a wireless system that was developed long ago (when we had the 60' cutter).

Hand signals. It only takes a few for the skipper to have complete control of the boat, with a good helmsman.

On Sweet, we still use this system for anchoring. For docking maneuvers, we are both in the cockpit until the approach, where everything has been discussed (it is assumed) quietly. I step up near the shrouds with bow and mid spring and step on dock when alongside, she comes from the helm with the stern line if need be. Or I wander back after temporarily hitching the bow & mid lines and retrieve it form her. Then tidy up the lines.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1