I think you're over thinking it.  A knife would certainly do the trick, but
you'd probably just untie it.

(BTW: if you DO have a liferaft on board, make sure it is tied to the boat
securely BEFORE you deploy it.  Then, don't cut it free until you're safely
in the raft.  There's nothing worse than launching your raft and then
watching as it drifts away.)

Cheers,
Colin