And I thought seagull poop was irritating!

Rick Brass

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Martin
DeYoung
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:18 PM
To: Dennis C.; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Otter Problem

Last winter we battled otters who decided pooping under Calypso's cover was
cool.

After trying all the techniques listed on the St of Washington's wildlife
web site, including rat traps, ammonia and loud sound(radio left on) the
only thing that worked was a fence.

This year we have a plastic garden fence tied to the life lines bow to
stern, including the gate.  The fence material is plastic and easy to cut to
height.

The Shilshole river otter clan prefers to climb vs. jump onboard.  We do not
put fencing where the deck is more than 3' off the water or dock.

Good luck in your battle.  The state wildlife info does warn that otters
which can reach 80lbs can turn aggressive so some caution when approaching
may be in order.

Martin

Calypso

1971 C&C 43