> And a diesel engine would have died the same death!

Here is my auxiliary engine score card for offshore passages (longer than 800
miles, more than 20 miles offshore):

Gas, A4
3 trips OK
1 trip total fail (water in cylinder)

Diesel, various mfg.'s
2 significant failures, (1 water in cylinder, 1 broken rocker arm)
4 minor issues, mostly fuel related
7 OK

When it comes to carrying extra fuel on deck for long passages I have a
personal preference for diesel.  Also, if your internal fuel tank/hoses leak
diesel will be less trouble in the bilge.

The last power (tow) boat I owned had twin I/O gas engines.  I was very
diligent about checking the engine space bilge prior to starting and had no
gasoline related safety issues in 3 years of commercial use.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle