If I don't feel like tying up the reef, I will pull (at least) the forward
part of the excess sail to the weather side of the boom. That's puts an end
to the flapping in most cases. If I put two reefs in, I make sure I pull on
the first reef as well so the sail there's not as much sail hanging down.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine

--