---------------------

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana
On 19/02/2014 2:41 PM, Marek Dziedzic wrote:
+1 to what Stevan said.

Sailboat Owners had some testing results published recently and charging an iPad (of all things) came about 20-25% less over a DC charger (compared to the inverter/AC charger combo). These inverters are not as efficient as we would like them to be.

A note: check the DC (USB) charger before buying/installing; they come in a variety of specs (1.5 A/2.0 A/2.5 A). For fully charging higher end devices (e.g. tablets) you want to have 2.4 A – 2.5 A USB charger.

Marek

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:51:27 -0500
From: Stevan Plavsa <
stevanpla...@gmail.com>
To: "
cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Wiring an inverter

As an aside, charging tablets and phones doesn't necessarily require an
inverter. One could go with something like this:
http://ca.binnacle.com/p8953/BLUE-SEA-1016-DUAL-USB-CHARGER-2-SOCKET-5V-2.1AMP/product_info.html

Phones and tablets are DC, why convert and convert again?

I'm looking into DC power supplies for the laptop as well. So far we
haven't need AC but I do have a portable inverter on board just in case.

I charge my tablet and phone off of the car stereo I installed at the nav
station (it has a USB port). I'm considering that Blue Sea unit just as a
nice to have but the project list is long with higher priorities.

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto