On 2014/02/21 12:30 AM, Rick Brass wrote:
Rick:

In a later post on this incident, I said we should have been traveling at a lower speed given the lack of visibility and the lack of electronics....we knew that then, as well, but we were taking risks.

After passing the buoy to our port about 5 feet away, we then slowed down to 3 kts....it was a sobering feeling....we got away with this one!

Rob

Rob,

Re: Hitting a buoy at 6.5 knots in the fog

See COLREGS rule 6.

I think of it as the marine equivalent of the "Basic Speed Limit" in effect for cars in the US -- "to be able to stop in the assured clear distance ahead"

*From:*CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] *On Behalf Of *Robert Abbott
*Sent:* Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:06 AM
*To:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com
*Subject:* Stus-List Navigation Devices

Some years back on a friend's C&C 34R with no chartplotter or radar, we were motoring home after a race was called for lack of wind, in the fog, and dam near ran into a navigational bouy . It could have been really ugly hitting that immovable object at 6.5 knots.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.