Rick -
You have to really work to get a reputation for making bad jokes and saying silly and crazy things. Then, when someone gets insulted they just 'oh, well, it's that guy...' I don't know if you remember back when this list was young (sailnet) but for a while I had to add a disclaimer to keep people from flaming me.

<VBG> works well...

Here's a story. Once upon a time about 20 years ago there was a riot at a Grateful Dead show in St. Louis. A few thousand kids wanted in, and basically tore down the chain link fences and stormed the venue. It was a mess, and in fact the band published a statement saying "If you think you can say Eff You and do anything you want, remember that we can say that too and quit playing." I made a comment on rec.music.gdead saying "Riots? Don't Trust Anyone Under Thirty" and was flamed so badly that I spent a week hiding in the garage. <VBG> The only response worth remembering was from some old guy with a handle of Ktrinka who said "I think you forgot to put a '<VBG>' at the end of that..."

Wal

Rick Brass wrote:
I didn't mean to be insulting or didactic. I was going for ironic, but see I
didn't quite make the trip.