Thanks Joe. That's actually the point I meant to make, but I got lost in my own trip. Every engine is different. I think my point was to know how your engine is designed, and listen to a trusted mechanic.

Wal

Joe wrote:
Not all water heaters work like that. What came with our boat had the entire
supply of engine cooling water going through the water heater and then back to
the engine. There was no separate loop for it. In our case small hose would
have been bad. The hose ran from the exhaust manifold to the water heater and
then from the water heater to the exhaust pipe injection point. Yes...they ran
salt water through the heater. Amazingly enough that didn't kill it, it rusted
from the outside instead.