Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:07:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: cenel...@aol.com
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List iPad/iPhone app for route planning (now

Thanks Mark--it may reduce the number of trips I need to make to the device on
the boat.

Per your email, it appears that I should put a blank SD card into my 540 so
that Garmin can initialize it before I load the routes, etc. on the card
via my computer with MapSource.

After that, I put the SD card back in the device, which Garmin now recognizes,
and load the routes onto
the chart buried within the 541.

Presumably if the card with routes is placed in the device before
initialization, Garmin might initialize it and write
over the info on it previously.

It seems that MapSource could take care of the initialization but then I
probably need the device serial number, blah, blah...
which still requires a trip to the boat.

Talk about a "...rope-a-dope..."

Anyhow, I did get the unlock code from Garmin and have downloaded the latest
version of MapSource. I bought an SD card so I guess I can
plan the routes, etc., without loading them on the card until after it is
initialized by the device.

I wonder if the above procedure is discussed in the MapSource help files or if
the user is warned to initialize the SD card at the device before loading
routes on it.

This would seem like a reasonable alert to the user.

Thanks,

Charlie Nelson

cenel...@aol.com