I think the original note said there had been Baltoplate and then something else on top - and the something else was what was peeling. My impression is not many other paints (or anything else) stick to Baltoplate, so it has to be roughed up and/or stripped off, which means what is on top is the problem.

Unfortunately, this top coat will have to be taken off or you will end up just patching it every year.

Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jake Brodersen" <captain_j...@cox.net>
To: <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:59 AM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Bottom Paint Question

Brian,

My boat originally had Baltoplate. I successfully put VC Offshore over the
top of it for a number of years without any adhesion problems.  The paints
are quite similar.  Last year I had the boat soda blasted.  I then did a
barrier coat and VC Offshore.  The hull came out of the soda blasting very
smooth. No way could I have ever sanded it clean and left a smooth surface.
The only thing I needed to do was fill a couple of blisters and start the
barrier coat.  It's definitely the right way to go, if you plan on keeping
the boat for the long haul.

Jake

Jake Brodersen
"Midnight Mistress"