John

First of all, the guys who really know how to make the boat go fast may not
wish to share their specific tuning secrets on line, and secondly the tune
is a bit boat specific and owner specific as well, it is a lot about what
you like on your boat.  I’ll give you some idea of how I approach tuning,
but I recognize that many on here probably know a lot more about the subject
than I do.

Basically you need to get your mast up plumb, side to side and fore and aft
with minimal shroud tension, just enough to hold it in place, and then
introduce about 8-10 inches of rake by adjusting the mast position fore and
aft at the mast step.  In calm conditions, and not introducing a lot of
movement on your boat by moving your own weight around drop a heavy weight
suspended from the main halyard and note when the weight suspended just
above the gooseneck hangs 8-10 inches aft of the mast. Check fro plumb side
to side with the main halyard fastened to the toe rail on either side and
tensioned equally on each side as you move it back and forth from one side
to the other exact spot on toe rail each time…plumb side to side is when the
length of halyard marked at some convenient spot after it exits the mast is
the same on each side.

Set you upper shrouds, incrementally using initially about 2 to 3 turns on
the turnbuckles each side, one after the other, measuring tension each time
after you do this.  I would guess that 1000 would be a good starting point
upper shroud tension on your 29 MKII so as you approach 1000 on each side
then do one turn on each turnbuckle at a time and then maybe ½ a turn each
time until you get a measure of 1000 on port and stbd upper shrouds.

Now do the lowers same way but tension those to about 600.  If you have the
check stays then set those turnbuckles only hand tight and leave them alone.

Go for a sail, noting leeward side shroud sag on a beat, tacking back and
forth to get an idea if that seems equal for stbd and port tacks.  Also
while on the beat each tack sight up from the base of the mast ( lie down on
your back to look straight up the forward line of the mast if you must) to
see what the mast looks like.  It should bow a little towards leeward, maybe
3-5 inches maximized at the spreaders which you will have to estimate, but I
believe that you boat will work best with that leeward bow as opposed to a
perfectly straight mast on a beat and that is why the lowers are tensioned
to a lesser level than the uppers.

With sails down and preferably on the hook again in calm conditions, check
to see that the mast has remained plumb side to side and check the rake.  If
things changed as a result of the mast and stays “settling in” a bit under
sail then do some fine tuning again and after that seize the turnbuckles
with wire or whatever…I get away with using plastic electrical tie wraps but
I would change those out for metal for offshore cruising.

When you are doing the “at dock tuning” set your backstay tension to about
800.  In heavy air and after you have the tune you like you can use that
backstay if you have on the fly adjustment capability to bring the top of
your mast aft while going to weather up to about 2000 on the backstay or you
can release tension and let it go forward when sailing downwind which should
help with speed.

I am guessing at your numbers based on my experience with my C&C 27 MKIII
and now with my C&C 35 MKII.  You need to try it for yourself and it helps a
lot to have the proper shroud tension gage and it does take time.  I spend
hours experimenting with my rig tune and I don’t even race anymore and I
check the tensions after every couple of sails, especially if we encounter
heavy air.  Good luck and please the rest of you don’t beat up on my
suggestions here too bad, just trying to help a fellow sailor.

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35 MKII, Alianna

St. Margaret’s Bay, NS

  _____