Just my 2cents.

I have a Furlex 200 furler on my smaller boat and it has a bungee that is
fed into one of the luff slots below where the sail enters the torque
tube.  The install manual has you secure the bungee (can't remember how)
and then pull the bungee as tight as you can.  Then while it is being held
out, messure a predetermined distance, cut, and attach the prefeeder.  With
no sail the prefeeder is sucked in tight to the foil.  As you are hoisting
a sail the prefeeder is able to spring in and out to ease tension.  Once
the sail is up the prefeeder comes off the luff tape and retracts, once
again, tight to the foil.

If I had do it on a tuff luff I would engineer the bungee inside of a PVC
pipe and rigging tape it to the stay below the tuff/luff.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
On Apr 3, 2014 9:15 AM, "Joel Aronson" <joel.aron...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> is fully hoisted.
>>
>> Make sure the pre-feeder doesn't flop over the side of the boat.
>>
>> So, that means you usually attach it to the Tuff Luff or furler.  Mine is
>> attached to the furler right at the top of the torque tube about 6-8 inches
>> below the feeder.  It drops off the tape and hangs free when the sail is
>> hoisted.
>>
>> Now, the more on not ripping a luff tape.  Nice for those listers that
>> read this far and didn't hit the delete key.
>>
>> It is important, repeat, important, the the sail be folded correctly for
>> hoisting.  The luff tape must be folded on top of itself under the
>> pre-feeder.  When dropping a sail, the foredeck person should pull the luff
>> tape directly down into the bow pulpit.  The mast man should pull the leech
>> downward and forward (not aft) and should work his/her way forward as the
>> sail is dropped.  The leech should NOT be pulled aft but should be pulled
>> straight down.  If the tape is pulled aft, it will force a sharp bend in
>> the tape as it is fed through the pre-feeder and re-hoisted.  (Please note
>> that I have 20+ years of doing foredeck on several successful racing boats.)
>>
>> Sails that are in a sausage bag should be folded so the tape is on top of
>> itself.  To do that, the person at the luff makes a single fold while the
>> person at the leech does nothing.  This cocks the sail and will allow the
>> tape to align.  After that first luff fold, the two folders match folds
>> with the leech folder working his/her way to the luff.  The luff folder
>> ensures that the luff tape folds back and forth on top of itself.  This way
>> the luff tape will be positioned in the bow pulpit directly under the
>> pre-feeder.
>>
>> We have one race boat on my pier which always folds their headsail in a
>> "cruiser" fold.  That is, both folders work their way to the middle.  The
>> luff tape will have to come from the shrouds forward to the pre-feeder and
>> then make a sharp bend to the feeder.  This is a recipe for a ripped luff
>> tape.
>>
>> I cannot stress how much sailmakers would love for sailors to rip luff
>> tapes.  It's $$$ for them.
>>
>> I also cannot tell you how nice it is for a sail to hoist easily because
>> it was folded correctly for hoisting.  On the other hand, try hoisting an
>> improperly folded sail at 2 in the morning in 20+ knots and 4-6 foot seas
>> and you'll curse the guy that folded it!
>>
>> Dennis C.
>> Touche' 35-1 #83
>> Mandeville, LA
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Joel Aronson <joel.aron...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I was thinking of mounting a jib pre-feeder on the foil for the furler,
>>> but i'm concerned about the sail chafing when the jib is partially furled.
>>>
>>> Should I just tie it to the chainplate so it is out of the way (but
>>> under foot) when the sail is up, or attach it to the foil. I have both

>>> 35/3
>>> Annapolis