Hi Dan....The casing for my Rudderpost appears to be all plastic (molded
fiberglas...).  The only 'bearing' is the top ring that supports the huge nut
on top of the post....along with a delrine (sp) washer between the nut and the
collar in the cockpit floor.  I have had my rudder out about 3 winters so far
(it is in my garage now with lightbulbs on it to keep from freezing...I guess I
can turn them off now  :-o   ).  Removal and replacing is done by my wife and
I, but, I let the yard get the quadrant on correctly.  I move the rudder on a
two wheel dolly with the post on my shoulder....I'm digressing.  I do clean the
shaft housing out with a drill, 2 - 18" extensions, and a 3" or so scotchbright
type wheel that I dip in kerosene to clean out all the old grease.  This gets
both the upper (just below deck) shaft housing and the below quadrant housing
looking clean as a whistle.  Last time I used waterproof wheel bearing grease
on the shaft and inside the housing.  I had quite a bit of cleanup to do to
remove the excess grease, but, was satisfied that we were 'well lubed'.

There is a bit of water in the rudder....I think I got most of it out this
time, but, it is still dripping.  Much cheeper, and better for the rudder to
keep it warm in the winter than pay the $5-6,000 to get it re-cored.
Hope this helps..

Good Luck!
Spencer Johnson
1984 C&C LF 38 "Alegria" #165