From: f...@postaudio.net
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:43:39 -0500
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List ActiveCaptain/Defender AutoPilot Special

Agreed — rule of thumb is to size the autopilot so that its rating is at least
1-1/2 times the displacement of the vessel; Raymarine says to add 20%, but
that’s not conservative enough in my opinion.  So for a LF38 at a published
displacement of 16,000 lbs (which means in real life, it’s more like 19,000 lbs
loaded or more…), you’d want the autopilot to be rated for at least 24,000 lbs;
closer to 30,000 lbs would be better.  The Octopus drive is rated for 33,000
lbs, and the ACU-200 course computer will handle the current for that drive
under all conditions you’re likely to encounter.  That’s a much better safety
margin than the SPX-5 which is rated at 16,500 lbs max displacement.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis

On Apr 16, 2014, at 10:23 AM, Joel Aronson <joel.aron...@gmail.com> wrote:Paul
The X-5 wheelpilot is barely adequate for a 35/3.
Joel