In my expierience it would have gone better if he made a 90° right turn
into the channel and then just backed straight in.  Works for me.

Same thing if you have to come down a fairway.  Don't turn into the fareway
forward, back in by turning perpendicular to the channel.  Keep the helm
straight until the boat speed comes down to zero.  Once you start moving
backward (speed starts increasing again) you can turn around the wheel
(assuming you have a wheel) and drive facing the stern.  As you/the helm
come even with the first piling of your slip turn the helm hard over and
enter straight in.  Works for the race boat.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD