Jimmy,

Thanks for the info based on your Bruckmann built Redline.  I will discuss the
hatch conversion idea with Calypso’s co-owner but I expect we will keep the
teak dorade boxes.  One of our goals is to keep the boat mostly looking like it
was when launched, just a little updated here and there.

> have you decided on deck treatment?<

I am planning to test Kiwi Grip (light gray) and EZPoxy 2 (color similar to the
original off white) on a cockpit hatch.  I will be testing for how the paint
applies with brush or roll/tip and how the Kiwi Grip looks/feels.  If the light
grey non-skid area looks out of place we will stick with the existing all off
white and use a custom color mix of Kiwi Grip or similar non-skid coating.

The original teak foredeck hatch was converted to a A&H 36”x36” back in the
early 80’s.  The mid and head A&H hatches were original from 1970.  All three
opening A&H hatches were sent to Hammerhead for refirb.  I will report back on
how they look when the 90lbs of hatches and packaging arrive back next week.

By the time we are finished over 200 holes in the deck will have been drilled
out and refilled with epoxy.  Some work days we have found more old holes that
were painted over than we filled.  Must be each past owner moved deck hardware
around several times.  Most of the old polyester based filler (“bondo”) is
failing and allows water to seep by.  All deck hardware is being removed to
inspect for water intrusion.  Most areas checked so far have some amount of wet
or damaged core.  We are getting faster at repairing and sealing the areas.
High load areas will be rebuilt with epoxy and glass so no further water damage
will occur.

The interior will be sanded or stripped (it is painted Herreshoff style, white
with teak trim) then repainted with white Brightside.  If time allows we will
rebuilt the “stick built” sole supports.  After decades of racing and cruising,
crew weight upon the floorboards causes enough creaking to be quite annoying
when someone does a middle of the night anchor check.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle