Gary,
Thanks for the perspective.

I figure I'll race spin with a crew of five (6 if I'm lucky) and cruise with a
crew of 2. For racing, one guy on the foredeck and 4/5  in the cockpit. The
cockpit is large enough for 5 easily, I think. It's a T, and one guy's behind
the wheel.

Since the the Jenny is roller furling, I don't expect that the halyard will be
adjusted much, and that can be handled by the foredeck man, who will also be
responsible for managing the spin and staysail, including spin jibes and the
mast end of the pole, and for helping tack the jenny. The spare jenny and spin
halyards are basically never used (my furler is single slot). Having the main
halyard and vang back at the cockpit is essential for 2 person cruising or
singlehanding (I do that sometimes).

I'm thinking that the pole topping lift/staysail halyard will be used while the
foredeckman is otherwise occupied. Is that true? I think it's good to have the
stormsail halyard (the same line as the topping lift) aft on principle.

Does that make sense?

Dan Sheer
Pegathy LF38
Rock Creek off the Patapsco