I had to pull them out the bottom. I could just reach the clip to remove the
retaining pin.

Putting the new ones back in was another story. I had to place them so that one
was horizontal and the other through long bends lined up with it. This was the
only way I could reach to replace the pin.

I then dropped two lines from the top and attached one to each so that I could
pull the cables to the proper side. I then gently worked the ends back into the
base so I could pull them up with the lines. Make sure that the pull lines are
routed aft and clear of the steering cables. I didn't loosen the steering
cables at all because I wanted to make sure they remained clear of the control
cables.

I don't know how much clearance you have below the pedestal but I had very
little due to the solid base where the steering cables pulleys are mounted.

Good luck this job pushed my patience limit.

Don Newman
C&C 44