I have both an SSB and satphone on board.  I've also been offshore getting
smacked by the NE side of a named storm.

We used the SSB for regular updates with the nearest shore based station
(Bermuda Radio) and also used the SSB for sending and receiving email and
weather data.  It's great for that kind of stuff.

The phone saw minimal use, but was very good for calling the wives when
shit got really nasty.  (which it did)

Fortunately, the EPIRB wasn't ultimately required.

If I had to choose between SSB and Satphone - I'd keep the SSB (with Pactor
III) and ditch the phone - but there is a place for both if your budget
allows.

My $0.02

Cheers,
Colin