Mark,

Rich may offer a different solution but here's how I generally install a
bilge pump.

Get the biggest Rule pump that will fit the space and a separate Rule float
switch, either the Rule-a-Matic or the Superswitch.  If you want a better
float switch and it will fit, get the USS Ultra Pumpswitch mini.

Coat all connections below with TefGel.  Really important in the bilge.

Install a Rule Model 43 rocker switch in a convenient but out of the way
location.  Wire the switch's positive to one of the battery cables on the
back of your battery switch (not the common, the one marked #1 or #2) and
the negative to ground (for the indicator light).  By connecting to the #1
or #2 connection, you're essentially connecting to one of the batteries.
As a rule, I don't like to connect directly to a battery inside the battery
box.

Run the Model 43's auto connection to one side of the float switch.

Connect the other side of the float switch and the Model 43's manual
connection both to the brown wire (+) on the bilge pump.  Make sure the
connection is in a dry place, heat shrink it and coat it with liquid
electrical tape.

Connect the pump's black wire to ground.

Make sure to put a loop in the discharge hose.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA