From: "CNC boat owners, cnc-list" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: bstrat...@falconnect.com, "CNC boat owners, cnc-list"
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:06:04 AM
Subject: Stus-List Boatyard repair issues

Hi Guys,
Okay so,

I was finally going to head out for a sea trial. I had the engine completely
warmed up, topped off with gas, water and the like.

Just before I was going to pull away from the dock and move out to the mooring.
She stalled, I always need to use choke to start it back up but, she starts
right back up.

We shove of, I put her in gear and she's vibrating like crazy. The kid on the
dock could actually see the rig vibrating...

Now, I'm in the 4 knot current of the Westport River! Awesome! I figured the
prop didn't open. So, I pop her out of forward and into reverse. Sometimes,
this will open the folding prop easier. Same vibration... Well I have to do
something because I'm out there in the mooring field heading for the channel.

I put her back in forward and she stalls...CRAP! I have to come around the helm
to the control panel on the locker bulkhead to start her again... and I need
choke to do this. She starts right up. I get back to the helm, put her in gear
and she starts to move but the engine just dogs... almost to a stall. I put her
back in neutral and she comes back up in revs. This just goes on and on... I
keep putting her in gear to keep her moving enough to keep control. We call the
marina for some help, as we're on the phone, the harbormaster is coming by and
we wave him over so he comes aside. Just as that is happening one of the yard
guys is coming by in the work skiff, We wave him over and he come and tows us
to a free mooring.

As were being towed, I keep her running and flip open the locker to hear the
engine better and I noticed that in my haste to restart the last time, I never
returned the choke to running position.

Now, I had the yard replace my broken strut over the winter and I know they
never did a sea trial. So, I'm thinking they didn't align the engine or, did
not align the engine properly and that is my vibration problem.

would having the choke fully engaged have been the issue with the engine
bogging down when I did put her in gear? I'm thinking not but...you never know.

Now, the Saturday before, while at the mooring and letting the engine run, I
did slip her into gear at idle in both reverse and forward and I did not notice
that vibration but, I was not giving her any revs either.
This past Saturday I spent some time tinkering with the engine and swapped out
the carburetor for a freshly rebuilt on I had as a spare and I was able to get
her idling strong at 700 RPMs and up and down through some revs with out the
fear of stalling. I'm very about that!
So, with the engine idling at 700 RPMs (I'm so delighted by that..LOL) I
slipped her in grear with the admiral at the helm and I went below with a
flashlight. I could actually see the stuffing box moving with the shaft. No
wonder it vibrates. I got in the water and everything looked fine at the prop.
Nothing fouling it and the blades moved freely. I have to say though, I'm
considering Indigo's 3-blade prop for next year. I think I can afford the drag.
One, the weighted blades on the prop I have don't stay closed anyway unless the
prop is in the right position, I'm relatively sure of that, and two, I'm not
racing anyone. But I'll see how the season goes after I get this vibration
thing sorted out. I have been pretty happy with this prop so far.

Anyway, as always I greatly appreciate any insights, comments and suggestions.