Nothing will beat having some practice with an expert on board. Even designating
a observer to start taking measurements and notes is a great start.

For me there is four things to fiddle with.

1) rate of turn, could be considered the radius of the arc of the turn

2) shape of the arc

3) when the jib is released and how it comes across

4) sail trim and point coming out of the turn

For (1) generally the less time the boat is not powered up the better. It has
to be
balanced with too much rudder acting as a brake, or using up some of the kinetic
energy to climb towards the mark.

(2) and (3) is were the skipper can be creative and gain some ground on tacks.
A common technique is to come up to head to wind, which hopefully is pointing
right at the windward mark, and coast up for a short distance. Works well in
lighter winds and flat water. A modification is were you can pinch up a while
first
and see how long you can sail under some power. I can sometimes get a few
boat lengths as high as 25 - 28 degrees apparent before I lose too much speed.
Note that there is some interaction here, as the boat slows down the apparent
shifts back a bit. So where you may have been pointing at 45 TWA and 32 AWA
as you slow down you may get 28 AWA but 39 TWA. Here is were a tactician
looking at VMG can advise if it is helping or not. In one case, mirror flat
water
and no shear I pinched heavily on a lift and managed to take a useful increase
in VMG while the lift persisted.

When coasting up you may want to hold the jib back from tacking, barely cross
the wind to get just a hint of backwind, and hold it there for a boat length or
so.
The thing you do not want to do is to release the jib and have a few hundred
sq. feet of sail hung up on the shrouds / mast acting as a brake. When the
jib starts to back wind much it will turn the boat for you and save using the
rudder.

(4) is by far the most critical area to practice. I see the general technique of
falling off a bit after a tack to build speed, then coming up as velocity
builds.
It works, and helps a lot in a race. It may not be optimal depending on the
boat and sails. Again, because boat speed is down the apparent has gone
back a bit. Also, with racer / cruisers that do not point above 45 TWA every
degree fallen off is a bigger distance to the mark. 5 extra degrees, from
45 TWA to 50 TWA hurts a lot more that dropping from 40 TWA to 45 TWA.

A different technique is to use some of the energy to coast up, then complete
the tack but stay up. During the tack the crew gets to the low side to help out,
moves the jib car slightly forward. The main trimmer ( maybe ) eases the
outhaul and the backstay. Make sure the main does not get trimmed up too
aggressively before the jib is flowing, need to keep the rudder straight
and the boat balanced. With the extra depth in the sails trim in for power
but keep the boat pointing close to normal. Let the boat speed build, then
start tightening the backstay first to maintain point as the apparent shifts
forward.
Then adjust the jib car, and finally the outhaul as speed returns to normal.

The concept is adding some depth to the sail but staying closer to correct
course
may work better that having flat ( over trimmed ) sails and falling off.
Depends on the boat and the sails.

> On the genoa, the issue is
> how to get the new sheet in as far as possible as fast as possible to
> minimize grinding on the new tack.

When double handing in normal wind and wave conditions we prep for a tack
by centering the main traveler ( easing the boom away from windward )
a second before the tack or as the tack has started. With the other hand
I take the jib sheet off the clam cleat and pass it back to the helms person.
The lee side jib car has already been adjusted forward, and as soon as
the jib sheet is released helm eases the backstay. As we tack over I start
tailing the new jib sheet in, and helm is ready to steer down if required to
clear the jib past the shrouds. I switch to using the winch as pressure builds
and pass the sheet back to helm for tailing. As soon as we have the jib
flowing I pull the main up a bit on the traveler, then go back to trimming
in the jib. One thing that helps is the ARCO 40 winches I have are 1:1 on
the direct side, so I can get a lot of sheet in quickly. When the sail is loaded
helm may pinch up for a couple of seconds to help out while I am still 1:1.
Note that we are not falling off much to build speed, which does work but
tends to load the jib a lot more.  From there on it is trimming as we build
speed.

> When it is blowing over 10, it is
> really hard to pull the traveller up each time.

Try easing the main sheet out, letting the vang off slightly to get some twist
and then adjust the traveler. Finish off by tightening the main sheet. On my
C&C 30-1 I switched to the Harken big boat track and car, have two single
blocks separate location on the boom, a 4:1 main sheet with an additional
4:1 tweaker. Overall the best mod I have done for solo or double handed.
Even with a good captive ball track and 4:1 on the traveler it is a stiff
adjustment at 14+ knots. The tweaker is much better. I find trying to
keep the boom close to centerline but allowing it to rise using the vang
and main sheet keeps the boat balanced. A tight main sheet and vang,
dropping the traveler is more common way but as soon as the boom
is significantly off center as opposed to twisted I lose speed.

Hopefully some points to think about, but having an expert on board even
for a couple of practices is the way to go.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1