In 1998 when we first looked at buying Calypso the listing said "Swan like
quality at a C&C price" or something to that effect.  Having been recently
crawling around in all of Calypso's deep dark recesses performing deck repair
work I would have appreciated a higher level of attention to detail by the
lay-up crew.

The Swan's I have sailed on had a much more complete finish inside and out
(glass work, joinery, wiring, etc.).  You could run your hand around storage
area and not catch some skin on a rough bit of glass.  Add that to the brand's
reputation and air of exclusiveness the higher market pricing and resale value
seem to hold up.  Much like a comparison between a Bentley and a Cadillac.

One dark and stormy night, off the Washington coast in more wind than was fun,
I was reassured by the S&S design and Swan build of a late 60's Swan 65 ketch.
The 100,000 lbs. of boat felt strong and stable.  I would have been nervous on
a lesser boat designed and built to a market and price point well below Swan,
or for that matter below 70's C&Cs.  A Bendytoy 42 I delivered down the west
coast would have in deep trouble in those seas.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle