I would check out the tiller stay as an alternative to the tiller tamer.  I've
used both.  Tiller stay has the advantage that the tiller can be moved easily
through its full range without disconnecting the line.  I found the Tiller
tamer will break unless you remember to increase the length of the line as the
tiller moves off center.  Tillerstay is not as well known but has been on the
market for many years.  Now sold by Catalinadirect (no affiliation).

See at
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1933_199/itiller-stayi-tiller-controller.cfm

Tom
C&C 29-2 1984, Bridie Mae