IMHO, the key to docking stern to is to have sufficiently sized 'cahunas' to
get the boat moving in reverse relatively far from the slip.

I almost always dock stern to and independent of wind, current, prop walk,
blah, blah, blah...the key is to get going in reverse at least 10 boat lengths
from your destination with whatever prop you use, whether it is offset, etc,.

Once moving in reverse, the rudder takes over and the engine can be put in
neutral (with occasional, and brief; drops into reverse to keep reasonable
speed up so that the rudder maintains control).

Facing aft with the wheel behind me, I can steer the boat like a car, since the
rudder is like my front wheel underneath my feet, with occasional shifts into
reverse to keep way on and the rudder steering working.

Once into the slip as far as I need to be, a short burst of forward gear stops
reverse motion and I and/or my crew can tie her up.

QED.

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C 36 XL/kcb