David,
  On Cat’s Paw, I installed special sound insulation to quiet the noise of our
30 hp Perkins diesel.  Decided to make noise measurements in the cockpit, the
cabin just forward of the engine, and all the way forward in the V-berth (using
a cheap dB meter app on the iPhone).  2 inch thick sound foam with a special
sound-adsorbing backing on the wooden engine housing in the cabin (sides, front
and top) and on the sides of the cockpit lockers.  Just too hard to get to the
underside of the cockpit floor.  It made only a small difference in sound level
- maybe a dB or two (I think 3 dB is a factor of 2).  When talking to a
professional sound person when we separated a large room with wooden sliding
doors in our rental apartment downstairs with special sound-absorbing
materials, professionally installed, I was told that even a small gap in the
insulation would basically make the whole thing pretty ineffective.  90 percent
coverage with insulation would let much more than 10 percent of the sound
through.  That job really worked - they left no crack uncovered and it really
blocks the sound. So my guess is that unless every exit point surrounding the
engine were insulated, it would make little difference (and I left the whole
cockpit floor uninsulated).  Also the engine can transmit sound by vibration
through the engine mounts - perhaps new ones would help - have not tried that.
But as it stands, pretty disappointing.

See you at the Newport rendezvous in September - I can show you what I did.

Eric
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA