Hi Dan,

Too bad Hydrographic Canada doesn't have a preview on it's website. Chart 3312 immortalizes the blooper in all it's glory on the cover of the chartbook.

small image here:
http://www.captainsnautical.com/10938/230694/Canadian-Hydrographic-Paper-Charts/3312-Jervis-Inlet-and-Desolation-Sound-Chart-Atlas-spiral-bound-book-Scale-1multiple.html

The blooper is only practical on long reach/runs which seem to be out of favour with the modern Race Committee. You will lose time with all the distraction of getting it up and back in. In recent times the best we had with the blooper flying was at the dock, using it as a sun shade, post SIN regatta at NYC.

Interestingly the spinnaker staysail is not a staysail at all since it is free flying. (True staysails are by definition, attached to stays) The reason it is called a staysail is because "it stays in the f*cking bag!" :) This one is worth entertaining the crowd with. It is said you will gain 1/2 a knot when you put it up.... and gain a 1/2 knot when you strike it. Simply tack it midway between mast & stem, best position is to the windward rail. Hoist and trim as a windseeker... a point of interest is we use a daisy as the windseeker.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1
        Nanaimo Yacht Club