The main functions the same as a line going from the masthead to the end of the boom. The mainsheet and vang pulling that structure downward act on that to pull the mast rearward, or at least apply pressure in that direction.

I sometimes sail with just the Genoa, but I do apply a little tension to the backstay as a precaution. I also never move the boat anywhere, even under power, without having both the main and genoa (as well as the anchor) ready to deploy on short notice if the need arises. I single hand most of the time, so planning ahead is always a big priority.

Bill Bina

On 9/19/2014 1:11 PM, Greg Arnold via CnC-List wrote:
I remember reading somewhere years ago that the main helps stabilize the rig. Not sure exactly what that means, but every time you fall off a wave the rig vibrates. If you have the main up, it probably prevents some of the vibration. That might be a factor if you have a fragile rig.

On 9/19/2014 9:58 AM, Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List wrote:
I am afraid that the idea of the "uneven loading on the rig" is another myth. Your rig (not the rigging, but the boat, as a whole) is unbalanced. How much, it depends on the size and shape of your jib. I think the problem stems from the fact that in lighter winds, you want to have as much sail as you can or you are not moving. And in the strong winds, you might be unbalanced to the point that it is difficult to steer (the boat would have a tendency to bear off). You may also find it to be difficult to tack, especially in waves.
But if any of those does not wear _you_ off, the boat would be fine.
Marek
*From:* Joel Aronson via CnC-List <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
*Sent:* Friday, September 19, 2014 12:00 PM
*To:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
*Subject:* Stus-List sailing under jib alone
All,
Earlier this week I went out for a lazy sail after work. Unfurled the jib in 10 knots of wind and decided I was too lazy to remove the main cover and hoist the main. I've read that sailing under only jib is bad because it places an uneven load on the rigging. Seems to me that the load is minimal in light air and the total load is a lot less under one sail.
Thoughts?
Joel
35/3
Annapolis