Ouch! The club here has two smaller fixed cranes and a "pole cat" - a used
utility truck with a
boom arm. The smallest fixed crane will do masts easily up to 30 - 32' boats.
All are available
for free with volunteers operating the pole cat.

For haul out the club hires in two large cranes. So we get the masts unstepped
and stored,
the cradles brought in by forklift and laid out, the boats hauled, stored over
the winter, the boats launched,
the masts stepped and cradles stored for $900 on a 30' boat.

It is self service for the mast unstepping / stepping and layout on the mast
racks, but there always
is lots of people to help.

I have removed and serviced the original sheaves on my 30-1 twice. I cleaned
them up when I went
from wire to rope and replaced the Oilite bearings, then replaced the Oilite
bearings again two years
later. The bearings were crushing a bit and the play allowed some sideways
misalignment, ending
up in scoring the sides of the sheave and the mast casting. Also lots of
friction at high loads.

Last year I replaced the two jib sheaves with Acetyl ( Acetal - Delrin ). I
found ISOMAT had the correct
size and were the two piece design I wanted. So a smaller "donut" goes around
the SS shaft. I purchased
that undersized and drilled it out to be a press fit on the shaft. The Sheave
goes over the donut and
uses the increased diameter as a plain bearing. The Acetyl is very hard, in
fact rated for use with wire.
So far this year, including numerous sail changes at over 20 kts in the LO300,
the sheaves have
worked very well. Lighter weight, no grease required.

Will check them when I pull the mast next month.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1