In the Spring of 2006, we bought two Group 27 deep cycle batteries from Walmart.....approx. $85 each.....they lasted two seasons....wouldn't hold a charge.

In the Spring of 2008, we bought two Group 27 deep cycle batteries from a dedicated battery shop here......they were Great Northern batteries....I believe made in the USA.

When we were taking the Walmart batteries off the boat and replacing with the Great Northern, I weighed each battery on a bathroom scale.....the Walmart battery weighed approx. 40 lbs each.......the Great Northern battery weighed 55 lbs each.

The Great Northern batteries have now seen 7 seasons and appear to be fine even after I abused them (two seasons ago I let the electrolyte get so low as to expose the top of the lead plates for some time). Topped them up with distilled water and charged them for about 6 hours at 6 amps and then another 20 hours at 2 amps. That brought the 'specific gravity' back up to approx. 1.65. Until we see any signs that these batteries can't hold a charge, they will stay on the boat.

As a back up, we carry a rechargeable Canadian Tire portable 12 V - 120 V battery with an inverter in case our Group 27's fail to start the engine. The Canadian Tire battery weighs approx. 11 lbs.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 -84
Halifax, N.S.