  From: Jean-Francois J Rivard via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2014 12:11 AM
  Subject: Stus-List Stus list backstay adjuster

  The split backstay is a tried and true, very effective solution.

  We have an OEM Split backstay on our 36 ft 34+ and it has no problem leaning
back the 52ft double spreader telephone pole of a masthead rig we have. We
checked it and it moves the mast head a good 4-6 inches. The setup has 2 triple
blocks if I remember correctly.

  Before I started racing and really using it I was considering upgrading to a
hydraulic setup. My very experienced rigger said: Go racing with it then tell
me you need to spend 1700-1900 bucks replacing this perfectly functional and
effective setup..

  He was right. It is not quite as sexy looking as a hydraulic setup and is
perhaps a little slower to tighten but it is very positive and works like a
charm. Power is not an issue. In fact that's about the only line that never
requires a winch on the whole boat..

  As for the "Chainplates" you'd need to install, they are about 3" wide and 8
" long backing plates on U bolts.. That's nothing expensive or complicated

  Outside of replacing blocks every 20-25 years for 2-3 hundred bucks (Mine are
about due) and the occasional line replacement.. It's pretty much maintenance
free and deadbolt reliable..

  You bet it'd be just dandy on a 33 footer..

  If you are interested, PM me I'll send you photos of the setup when I go to
the boat next time.

  Best Regards,

  Francois
  1990 34+ "Take Five"