1. Panels in a multi panel system with panels wired in parallel should have a
diode in series with each panel, but many panels come with an incorporated
diode and adding another one will just waste power. The manufacturer's
documentation will say it there is a diode incorporated since that is an added
feature.

2. There is no problem hooking up multiple panels to the same charge controller
so long as you stay within maximum ratings. Multiple controllers should work
fine, but at an added cost. Quality controllers are not particularly failure
prone, but I get you desire for redundancy as a matter of principle.

3. I have had good experience with Morningstar controllers, and my choice was
influenced by recommendations from several people. Whatever you purchase, get a
decent one, and if it has at least a few LEDs to indicate the controller's
state and the battery state of charge then you probably won't need a separate
battery monitor. A battery volt meter and a current meter for observing charge
rate, will be sufficient in my experience. I can't really see that a separate
monitor would be of any use unless it can at least keep a running total of the
ampere hours delivered to the battery.

4. MPPT controllers will squeeze a bit more current out of your panels but at
an increased cost of purchase. Different panels have different efficiency
ratings, and all else being equal, will cost more in proportion.

5. My experience with bimini mounted panels last winter is that on a sunny day
at anchor you can expect the maximum mid-day charging rate to be about 1/2 the
panel ratings, and the total ampere hours for the day to about 3 times the
maximum amp rating total for the panels. (You never get the rated output of a
panel unless it is pointing squarely at the sun.) To put it another way, with 2
100 watt panels rated at 7 amps each, we got around 7.5 amps at noon hour with
both panels in parallel and at the latitude of Miami. This worked out to better
than 45 ampere hours per day with the setup we had. Combined with a small wind
mill, it was enough to keep the ice box refrigeration going without having to
run the engine for a couple of weeks.

Steve Thomas