From: "Joseph Sisson via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 7:02:35 AM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Mast Self-Climbers

Edd,

I have rigged a mast self climber using rock climbing gear that I had on hand.
I used my rock climbing harness, three carabiners, two cords (about half the
diameter of your spinnaker halyard) and the spinnaker halyard.
All the gear is rated for climbing so I was confident that my safety was not in
jeopardy.
As a back up, I had a friend "belay" me by keeping tension on the main halyard
that I rigged into the system.

You will have to experiment with the length of the two cords so that one will
be attached to your harness (which you will sit down in to take the weight off
your feet),
and one cord will extend down to your feet (which you will stand on to take the
weight off your harness).
The cords are attached around both strands of your spinnaker halyard using a
carabiner (one carabiner for each cord) and a bachmann hitch and one of the
cords is attached to your harness and the other is rigged with loops for your
feet to fit into.

The third carabiner is attached to the main halyard and clipped through the
harness climbing loops (NOT THROUGH THE BELAY LOOP).

I start by sitting in the harness (now the bachmann hitch grabs tight to the
spinnaker halyard and my weight is transferred to the spin hal).
I then bend my knees and lift up my feet  as close to my but as I can get them.
This will put slack in the cord with the foot loops and you then move the
bachmann hitch up the spin hal as far as you can reach.
Now straighten your legs and stand on the foot loops and your weight will be
supported by the bachmann hitch and cord to your feet.
This will put slack in the other cord to your harness so you move that bachmann
hitch up the spin hal as far as you can reach.
Now sit into your harness and raise your feet to start the cycle over again.
Repeat until you are as far up the mast as you want to go.

To come down reverse the process.

The advantage of this system is that it cost me nothing (I already had all the
gear) and I did not have to purchase ascenders as the bachmann hitch worked
just fine.
The other advantage is that the lack of ascenders used results in no damage to
the spinnaker halyard  and no need to purchase an extra rope to climb the mast.

If you visit your local indoor climbing gym I am sure they will be able to
advise you on the gear that you will need for this simple system.

In a pinch (emergency) you can use this system to climb the mast yourself, but
always have someone belay you with the main halyard if possible.

Cheers,
Joseph Sisson
S/V Silent Runner
1975 C&C 35 MKII