I installed a Nicro 4 inch solar vent in Alianna this past summer.  It
seemed to run 24/7 all summer long after I turned it on following 3 days of
initial charging in bright sunlight.  I was at the boat yesterday afternoon
and noticed that the fan had stopped.  We have had a fair bit of dull rainy
weather around here lately and of course daylight hours have decreased
considerably as the seasons changed so I expect there was not enough
sunlight to keep the battery fully charged.  I had hoped that the fan would
run all winter long to keep the air inside the boat fresh during layup so I
intentionally modified my tarp to allow full access of the collectors to
the daylight sun and I left the fan in the on position. Better interior
ventialtion during winter storage was one of the main reason that I
installed this solar vent but now there does not seem to be enough light to
keep the cells fully charged.  I am wondering if leaving the vent in the
"on" position to use up whatever level of charge it aquires under such
conditions may be doing long term damage to the recahrgeable battery and I
wonder if I should keep it turned off during winter storage.  Any advice
appreciated.  Thanks

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, *Alianna*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS