David,

Westerbeke/Universal calls it an exhaust riser or exhaust elbow. At the end
of the exhaust manifold, you will find a connection to an elbow made of cast
aluminum (at least that is what the elbow in my M35B is made of). The side
of the riser/elbow has a tapped hole with a plug very close to the highest
point, and into this you put a fitting for the hose carrying raw water from
the heat exchanger. If I recall correctly, the hose is ¾” ID on my engine.
Inside the elbow/riser is a sort of shelf or baffle that causes the hot
water to fan out and cool the hot exhaust as it goes out of the elbow and
into the exhaust hose.

The PO had used a 45 degree elbow on the exhaust of the engine he installed
in 2000. The 45 degree elbow, BTW, turns out to be a very bad idea on an
engine that is mostly below the waterline. When I replaced the original M35
in 2010, I switched to a riser that routes the exhaust up for 6-8”, and then
straight down to the muffler. I looked at the old 45 degree elbow and found
no carbon deposits or significant corrosion after 10 years of service. Made
me wonder what the difference was that caused Yanmar engines to have so many
problems.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC