David,

If you have a Yanmar, the Yanmar gray spray paint can cover a lot of small
problems.

Most boats didn't get a barrier coat to begin with.  I had to strip and
apply my own.  It was well worth the trouble and peace of mind.  I did soda
blasting, which left a great surface for application of a barrier coat.
It's a good investment if you intend on keeping the boat.

Jake

Jake Brodersen

"Midnight Mistress"

C&C 35 Mk-III