Hi Dan,

As you probably know, raindrops bounce. You must keep the bounce out of the vent hole into the boat. What you linked is essentially a hood, next is required a baffle to keep the wet from getting below and a box to make it all elegant.

With this arrangement it does not need something that can close during downpours. However, if you simply attach a vent then you will need something that can close during downpours.

The current best arrangement was popularized by the racing yacht Dorade and became known as the dorade vent.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1