  From: Burt Stratton via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:25 AM
  Subject: Stus-List balsa core

  I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to address my decks and
cockpit sole. The PO installed wood strips fore to aft on the cockpit sole
ostensibly to provide some lateral traction. They were not properly bedded and
as you might imagine, the wood strips did not last long. There are open screw
holes and if I step next to them water comes out. That is an obvious problem.

  The reason I am concerned about my decks, particularly my cabin roof is the
fact that a brown wet film will form over time on the inside of the cabin roof.
My roof has no headliner. The paint was peeling badly when I bought the boat
and I have stripped it off. If I clean the fiberglass and wait a few days the
film gradually appears. My assumption is that there may be a wet core in the
roof. I will get a surveyor to take readings with his moisture tool to confirm
but assuming that is the case, I would appreciate any insight by listers who
have tackled this problem.

  I am not an experienced fiberglass guy. I don't particularly like working
with fiberglass but I am pretty handy otherwise and would be willing to attempt
this work in order to save a few hard earned bucks.

  Here are a couple specific questions:

  1.       What would the balsa typically be replaced with? An appropriate
thickness of mat?

  2.       Should I attempt to save the fiberglass skin I remove to be re-used
or just use new fabric to glass over the repair?

  3.       Assuming I work from the inside, how do I defy gravity to keep the
new mat or fabric from falling down until it cures? Does the resin have enough
mastic properties to keep it up?

  It is starting to look like the coming season may be lost for me. I have a
lot to do and can't do most of it until the temps increase. I do want to
rehabilitate this boat and do it right. I think it will be worth it whether I
keep the boat or sell her when I'm done. The boat is covered so I am hoping it
will dry out a bit before I start.

  Thanks as always

  Skip

  1974 CNC 33 3/4tonner