From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Spencer
Johnson via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 11:42 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List (no subject)

Hi David....I have a 1984 LF38 that should be close to yours...we are now
dropping the rudder every winter to prevent freezup.  My wite and I can get
it down ok, but it takes a bit of help from other sailors to get it back in.
I have 2 set screws in the cap on the rudder shaft that need to be loosened.
I end up using a pipe wrench to unscrew/screw the cap.  To minimize damage
to the cap nut I wrap it with Gorilla Tape.  I have heard of exhaust hose
being used...if you can get a good grip.  Tried the flexible wrenches like
for an oil filter....no dice...takes much more force.  I wish there was a
way to make it easier...10 minutes with a big pipe wrench and she is off!
I drop it onto a sawhorse with blocks.  I also make a bit of a netting with
rope around the bottom of the rudder and tied over the top...kinda like
wrapping a package with ribbon...but it makes it much easier to grab the
rudder as we ease it down.  Once down, and wangeled onto a two wheeler, I
can put the shaft on my shoulder and move it around to the car pretty
easily.  One more thought.....I clean the shaft with a drill, 2-3 18"
extensions, and a fine scotchbrite like (red) buffing wheel soaked in
kerosene to get all of the old lube out.
Hope that helps....Good Luck!
Spencer Johnson
1984 LF38 #165 Alegria
Racine, WI in the summer