I guess it is all what you are used to, I have a Zeus Touch T7 on Firewater and
like it very much, though part of the attraction is the full integration with
my Triton instruments, which makes it like a big instrument display in addition
to being a chartplotter.  I have not really needed the manual for regular use.

The one thing about the B&G system that is not obvious is the need for some
additional pieces.  The Zeus T7 at least comes with very limited charts, the T8
may be better in that regard.  I felt the need to buy charts to even get the
breakwall in our harbor on the cart.  The other issue is that it really needs
an external compass transducer to properly function even as a chartplotter.
There is another optional piece, which I have, to give you iPad control as Andy
describes below, so it definitely is available.  The bottom line is that the
price of the T8 alone may not be the true cost to give you the features you
want.

I think with any of these you need to evaluate it in light of the integration
opportunities with other instruments and sensors.  If you have relatively
current Raymarine instruments, they might well talk to the E7.  If you have
B&G, they might well talk to a Zeus unit.  They aren’t just chartplotters any
more, they really are designed to be part of a system.  Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim Reinardy

C&C 30-2 “Firewater”

Milwaukee, WI