From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Patrick
Davin via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:37 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List paper charts question

I don't think USCG requires paper charts, at least based on what this Google
search turns up:
https://www.google.com/search?q=us+coast+guard+requirements+paper+charts

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg553/NAVStandards/ECDIS.asp

They don't say what "adequate backup arrangements" to an ECDIS (electronic
chart display) are, but I would guess a second ECDIS would suffice? Also
doesn't say what meets their requirements for an ECDIS, but probably most
decent GPS displays I would think. The policy has been around since 2004.

The rationale they included seems to indicate they passed it to relieve people
of the expense + storage of paper charts:

"the ECDIS meets the same navigational safety concerns as do paper nautical
charts. This policy benefits the ship owner and operator by relieving them of
the need to unnecessarily duplicate equipment.”

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:56 PM, <cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com