I am sure others will way in, but nylon webbing 6000# breaking strength is
recommended by most racing bodies. Also, the strength will diminish in
proportion to uv exposure, so we stow them when not on the boat. I run them
to bow and stern cleats as others have mentioned since lack of backed pad
eyes capable of resisting a worst case scenario.

We use these 2x retractable tethers which are current with latest safety
best practices:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=63677

KD