So in a few weeks I’ll be bringing a fairly deep draft boat (6-1/2’) into an
area not really designed for fairly deep boats (canal in my condo complex).
The approach is the issue, not the canal.  Local knowledge is none as it is
primarily shallow powerboats in the canal.  Water depth on the approach looks
fine on the chart at 10-14’ but this is New York harbor so who really knows
what it is today (g).  Two obstructions are listed - submerged pilings and a
distributed wreck.  What is the norm for charting depths around these
obstructions?  How would one know what the water depth is over the wreck?
You’d think I’d know this by now but in the past I always had the luxury of
just steering around them!

John