My rigger buddy and I always use high quality stainless cotter pins.  If
they're in a turnbuckle, we bend them 90 degrees in order to wrap the
turnbuckle with rigging tape.  If they are at the masthead or where sails
or crew won't get caught on them, we usually only bend them 10-15 degrees.
That's all you need and they're easy to remove if need be.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA